Oven Roasted Whole Chicken with Root Vegetables
Not sure what to make for dinner? Here is an easy whole roasted chicken recipe from Michelle that is sure to impress:
This is one of my fast tried and true recipes. The chicken is extremely tender and moist without being trussed and fussed with. If you wanted to try a recipe like this but thought you couldn’t because you didn’t own a roasting rack this recipe is perfect for you! The veggies act as the roasting rack!
This recipe is very versatile to what you have on hand. You could use just about any root veggie you like in place or in addition to the sweet potatoes. Also, celery and carrots would be great veggies to use as well.
11×14 baking pan or roasting pan
1 1/2 tablespoons softened butter
1 tablespoon Penzeys Foxpoint seasoning (salt, shallots, chives, garlic, onion, and green peppercorns) or your favorite seasoning (poultry seasoning or fresh herbs would work great)
2 large sweet potatoes
3/4 lb bell pepper strips
4 pound whole chicken
1 tablespoon Better Than Bouillon chicken base
One cup hot water
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Peel sweet potatoes. Cut into 8 pieces and lay on bottom of pan.
2. Cut onion into 6 wedges. Arrange onion wedges and pepper strips evenly in pan along with sweet potatoes on bottom of pan.
3. Combine softened butter and Foxpoint seasoning in small bowl and set aside.
4. Measure 1 cup of water and heat in the microwave until steaming (about 90 seconds). Add Better than Bouillon chicken base and stir until dissolved.
5. Rinse chicken at kitchen sink and pat dry.
6. Place chicken on top of arranged veggies in pan. Gently work fingers under chicken breast skin to loosen. Be careful to go slowly as the chicken breast skin rips easily.
7. Insert the mixture of butter and seasoning evenly under both sides of the chicken breast while reserving about a half teaspoon of butter mixture. You can carefully use a baby spoon to place butter mixture under each side of chicken breast skin.
8. After placing butter under the chicken breast skin take pointer finger on right hand to hold end of skin in place as you use your left hand to rub along the top of the chicken breast skin to evenly distributes the butter and seasoning mixture under the skin
9. Take reserved half teaspoon of butter mixture and rub on chicken skin.
10. Pour better than bouillon chicken base and water mixture (or you can substitute chicken broth) in pan.
11. Cover entire pan with foil. Be sure to not let foil touch chicken as the chicken skin could stick to foil and rip upon removing foil for browning process.
12. Place in 325 degree oven. Cook for 90 minutes covered with foil. Remove foil and cook for additional 30 minutes until chicken is golden brown and juices run clear. Cooking time may slightly vary depending on your chicken.
Happy cooking everyone! : )