Red Velvet Mousse Cake, made with beets, gluten free
So I will admit I am a sucker for anything sweet, but I always feel justified when it includes veggies. Thanks for feeding our gulity pleasure Ali from http://glutenfreehomebakery.blogspot.com
There’s nothing I love more than eating a desert that’s filled with healthy organic vegetables! For many years I ate no carbs, no goodies, no bread, no cookies, until I was driving myself mad with deprivation. I was skinny and crazy for a cookie! Now I’m happy and eat healthy. I enjoy low carb gluten free goodies in moderation. No more craziness! My baking is greatly inspired by my beautiful organic produce from Space Girl Organics. Here’s what I did with their beets…
This is such a great way to use beets! The natural sweetness shines through and the color is gorgeous. The cake is very light and has a beautiful soft mousse texture. If you want a denser cake add a little almond flour as shown below.
Update! I made my cake without almond flour to keep it lower in calories. Out of the oven it was very soft but after refrigerating overnight the cake becomes firmer and fudgy. The texture is great and I’m thrilled with it. This ones a keeper.
Makes one 8 inch cake
- 2 cups (4 small) organic beets, peeled and grated
- 1 cup organic raisins or dates
- 1/2 cup water, during cooking add a tiny bit more if needed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid Stevia
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground espresso
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- dash sea salt
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2-3/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal Flour, opt
- In a covered saucepan, simmer the beets, raisins and water until tender. Cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In a large blender add the beet mixture and the coconut oil. Puree until smooth.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Batter should be thick but pourable.
- Add almond flour in 1/4 cup increments to thicken batter if you desire a cake texture and mix well.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a stick comes out mostly clean.
- Cool on a rack.