Provencal Vegetable Tian (GF, SF, DF & Vegan option)
A guest post from blogger Ali:
A simple vegetable tian allows various types of vegetables to be arranged in layers, with each successive layer complimenting the taste of the previous one. In this one I used yellow squash and organic eggplant from our Space Girl Organics produce box on the border and then layered the middle of the casserole with eggplant, onion, yellow squash, tomatoes, olive oil, spices and parmesan. It’s also great with zucchini, baby red potatoes or any variety of vegetables that you enjoy from your local CSA.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. You will need an ovenproof casserole dish with high sides.
- One whole organic eggplant
- 2 organic yellow squash or zucchini or combination
- 1 organic sweet onion
- 2 organic tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- Fresh or gluten free Herbs de Provence or Italian seasonings
- Dash gluten free garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan or vegan/ dairy free substitute
- Wash and slice vegetables approx. 1/4 inch wide. Note: You can see my eggplant was large so once I got to the large end I cut the slices and then cut in 1/2 again. I used the slices that matched as much as possible for the edge and then for the layers you can use whatever you have.
- Put a tablespoon of the olive oil into your casserole dish and coat the sides and bottom.
- Line up the sides overlapping the vegetables. To hold the sides add a layer of eggplant to the bottom of the dish.
- Now add even layers of your vegetables, add seasonings, cheese and a little drizzle of olive oil to each layer until the casserole is full.
- Top with the last of olive oil, seasonings and cheese.
- Bake for approx. 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender and top brown
Originally posted on http://glutenfreehomebakery.blogspot.com/