Paleo Cauliflower “pasta” Primavera (gluten free)
A guest post from our customer Ali:
Hubby is out tonight with the boys and I’m making dinner for just me. My first love is pasta but I’m off carbs for awhile. So going through my veggie drawer I started thinking that maybe adding cauliflower might give this dish the “al dente” texture that I crave. It even looks like pasta and when you coat it in the sauce and Parmesan it takes on all the flavors. Organic veggies are the best. I get mine from Space Girl Organics. I feel like I just had a big plate of pasta! hashtag happiness
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and separated into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups (or large handful) spinach
- 28 oz canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon or to taste, Italian seasoning blend.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Dash or two of gluten free hot sauce, like Tapatio
- 3 ounces shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large cast iron skillet on medium heat add the olive oil and butter. Add the onion and garlic and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook, stirring often.
- Heat water to boiling in a large pan, add a steamer basket or steamer pan. Add the cauliflower florets into the steamer. Cover with lid and steam for apx 10 minutes or until just tender. Reduce heat a bit if needed.
- Add fresh spinach to skillet and saute until wilted. Add tomatoes, spices, salt and pepper. Careful not to salt too much as the parmesan will add more. Stirring often cook until reduced and thickened. Add hot sauce and more seasonings to taste.
- Remove cauliflower from the pot and roughly chop. Add to the sauce and cook for a few minutes until coated.
Note- you can use 3 1/2 cups fresh tomatoes. Cover with boiling water for a minute, drain, add ice water to cool, drain and peel off skins. Be sure to retain all juice when chopping and add to sauce.
Originally posted on http://glutenfreehomebakery.blogspot.com/