Lightened Up Meat and Veggie Goulash
In this guest post, fitness blogger Ashley takes her family favorite goulash and lightens it up a bit:
Another family favorite recipe coming right up…my mom likes to make it, my step dad likes to eat it and I like to add a few ingredients of my own to make it healthier and more flavorful. I mean who doesn’t like old school hamburger helper…we used to eat that growing up every now and then but it’s filled with salt and not so good pasta and sauce. So instead of kicking it old school, we make goulash and a side salad and get a pretty well rounded and healthy meal.
Beef and Veggie Goulash
1 lb Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
3 c. Brown Rice Pasta or Quinoa Pasta
2 large cans of Stewed Tomatoes
Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Oregano to taste.
2 c. Spinach
1 Zucchini, chopped
1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
1. Saute spinach and zucchini in a large pan with coconut oil until tender. Put into separate bowl to add back into the mix later.
2. In same pan, brown the ground beef.
3. Using a small pot, bring water to a boil and cook pasta according to the package.
4. Once ground beef is cooked, add in veggies, stewed tomatoes and spices to large pan.
5. Once pasta is tender, drain and add into the pan. Let it all simmer for 5-10 minutes on low.
6. Serve with side salad
It has a little bit of everything in it, protein, carbs, complex carbs and it fills you up…it tastes good too of course! You can always make substitutions with the veggies if you like something else better. You can also use ground turkey instead of beef.
I hope you enjoy recipe #2 of our family favorites. Don’t forget to have a big glass of water with your meal…I’m sure the reason you’re hungry and thirsty in the first place is because you decided to do my shoulder workout and do a little HIIT training before dinner…way to rock it Have a great week ya’ll.
Originally posted on brewersorganics.com