Dutch Oven Beef Burgundy
In this post, blogger Michelle gives us her favorite entertaining recipe for Dutch Oven Beef Burgundy:
Everyone loves this recipe! Whenever I make this recipe for family or friends everyone always asks for the recipe! This is definitely one of my favorite go to impress recipes! This recipe has been refined over and over to perfection so I hope you enjoy. To make this recipe even more affordable greenwise tip roasts usually go on sale at Publix for $4.99 a pound. When they do go on sale, I purchase them and put them in my deep freezer. This one was put in my freezer about three weeks ago as you can see it looks almost as good as the day I bought it. I always talk to the butcher and make sure the meat is as fresh as possible. This one was cut special for me. I froze it as soon as I got home. As you can see the meat is still red instead of brown because I froze it quickly. This recipe is perfect for entertaining! Make it in the morning, let it cook all day and it’s ready in the evening.
Tip: Place a piece of foil on underside of dutch oven lid to avoid a baked on lid splatter mess.
Supplies: Dutch oven, wooden spoon, chefs knife, cutting board, can opener, plate for resting tip roast, fork for flipping roast, tablespoon measuring spoon
3 to 4 pound tip roast
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound of baby carrots
One large or two small onions, sliced
Two cloves garlic, minced
750 ml bottle of red wine
1 1/2 tablespoons organic better than bouillon beef base
1 1/2 tablespoons Penzeys beef roast seasoning
16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 bay leaf
3 tablespoons corn starch or flour
1. Pat your tip roast dry with paper towels. (A dry roast will brown much easier).
2. Over medium heat pour about 2 tablespoons olive oil in the bottom of the Dutch Oven on the stovetop burner.
3. When olive oil is up to temperature place tip roast in pot. Brown on all sides. While meat is browning chop onions and garlic. (The beef roast meat is not being seasoned during the browning process intentionally. All the seasoning will be added during the vegetable cooking process).
4. Remove roast from pot and set aside on a plate.
5. Place the onions, baby carrots and mushrooms in empty pot and stir. After 1 minute sprinkle beef roast seasoning on top of vegetables and stir.
6. After cooking vegetables for a total of five minutes the mushrooms should be reduced by half, and vegetables will start to make their own juices. At this point add garlic and better then bouillon beef base and stir.
7. Add two thirds of a can of tomato paste (4 ounces). Stir for about 15 seconds then immediately add bottle of wine. Add bay leaf and stir. Add 3 tablespoons cornstarch and stir until cornstarch is dissolved.
8. Replace beef roast in middle of pot. Gently work the roast down to bottom of pot and spoon liquids over roast.
9. Turn off stove heat. Place lid on pot and place in middle rack of your oven at 250 degrees for 6 hours. Roast will shrink a bit during cooking and should effortlessly shred. If roast is not shredding easily cook for an additional hour or two. Serve over your favorite rice, egg noodles, or pasta.
Happy wowing your family and friends everyone!